Reserve Benefits


My husband, Tom, was in the Army Reserves for 7 years. His eldest brother served in Korea and another (7 yrs older) was in Army Reserves. His mother was widowed. Tom received an Honorable Discharge. Tom has secondary Alzheimer/Dementia. It’s become very hard taking care of him 24/7 and I am hoping there is some assistance I can secure for him. I have tried to get a copy of his Honorable Discharge, but was told that his records were in a fire in Missouri and there is nothing I can do about it.

Jim's Reply:

National Guard and Reserve members don't earn a lot of VA benefits unless they are federalized...activated or "called up". Since you say records were lost in the fire, I think your best bet is to talk with a state or county veterans service officer in your region. Click