The purpose of the Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (SCRA) is to provide protection to service members who have difficulty meeting financial and legal obligations due to their military service.
All members of the uniformed services serving on active duty are covered under this Act. You may qualify for any or all of the following:
- Reduced interest rate on mortgage payments.
- Reduced interest rate on credit card debt.
- Protection from eviction if your rent is $2,958.53 per month or less (as of 2010).
- Delay of all civil court actions, such as bankruptcy, foreclosure or divorce proceedings.
- Early termination of car or housing lease without penalty.
More SCRA Overview Resources
- Fact Sheet: Servicemembers Civil Relief Act Overview
- Federal Act: Servicemembers Civil Relief Act
- Limitations to SCRA Protections for Military Families
- Video - The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act – Overview (Part 1)
- Video - SCRA – Consumer and Financial Protections (Part 2)
- Video - SCRA - Housing Protections (Part 3)
- More SCRA resources
Resource Date: June 2010