VA Survivors Pension



A VA Survivors Pension offers monthly payments to qualified surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children of wartime Veterans.

Step 1: Check if the Veteran’s service allows you to be eligible.

Step 2: Check if you currently meet the criteria to be eligible.

Step 3: Apply


1: The Veteran


Pension - veteran



Covered War Periods include:

  • Mexican Border period (May 9, 1916, to April 5, 1917, for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or in adjacent waters)
  • World War I (April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918)
  • World War II (December 7, 1941, to December 31, 1946)
  • Korean conflict (June 27, 1950, to January 31, 1955)
  • Vietnam War era (February 28, 1961, to May 7, 1975, for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period. August 5, 1964, to May 7, 1975, for Veterans who served outside of the Republic of Vietnam.)
  • Gulf War (August 2, 1990, through a future date to be set by law or presidential proclamation)


2: Your eligibility for VA Survivors Pension

To be eligible as a surviving spouse you need to have:


To be eligible as a surviving child you need to be either:

  • Under the age of 18, or
  • Under the age of 23 and attending a VA-approved school, or
  • Unable to care for yourself due to a disability that happened before the age of 18.



Pension - spouse child



3: How to Apply

If you have determined that you may be eligible for VA Survivors Pension you need to complete an application by filling out form VA form 21-534EZ.  To apply you can mail your application to the pension management center for your state, bring your application to a regional VA office, or work with a trained professional to get help with applying.


Visit the VA website for more information.


October 2020

Source URL: