long-divorced wife wonders about benefits


I was married for 18 years to a Viet Nam combat vet and divorced in 1991 on the grounds he was physically mean. In the last 3 years he has gotten 100% disability from the VA and receives compensation. I only receive $700 a month SS and was wondering if I would have a claim against his benefits. I know it is a long shot but thought I would inquire....thank you for your time...it is appreciated.

Jim's Reply:

You won't have any claim without an order from a divorce court that stipulates an amount he is obligated to pay you each month as alimony. Without an order of support, you don't have a claim.