Money & Debt

A photo of people, from the knees down, wearing camoflague uniforms and tan combat boots.

The American Veterans and Servicemembers Survival Guide

This detailed 600 page Veterans and Servicemembers Survival Guide was originally developed by Veterans for America and is now made available free of charge by the National Veterans Legal Services Program on their website. It was published in 2009 so more recent changes will not be included.
Photo of a calculator, papers and pens on a table

IRS Debt: Options for Low-Income Taxpayers

What to do if the IRS sends you a notice saying you owe them money.
Photo of a calculator, papers and pens on a table

Where to get free help if you owe a tax debt to the IRS

Where to get free help.
Photo of a calculator, papers and pens on a table

Don't Leave Money on the Table: Tax Credits and Public Benefits

Are you getting all of the tax credits and benefits you qualify for? Use our checklist to find out.
Photo of a calculator, papers and pens on a table

Filing a Tax Return When Deployed

Your tax return must be signed to be valid. If you are married, then you and your spouse must both sign the return. However, if you are deployed, there are other options. If your spouse has a valid power of attorney to attach with the return, then he or she can sign for you. You can also use IRS Form 2848.
A scale on a table in a courtroom

Postponing a Lawsuit Against You

What if I am sued while on active duty?

A picture of a DD Form 214 form on a wooden table.

Benefits at Separation

This is a quick summary of several important benefits. The chart shows whether you may qualify, based on your discharge status.
A person holds a white iPhone

Cell Phone Contracts and the SCRA

The Servicemember's Civil Relief Act [SCRA] can be helpful if you need to cancel or change your cell phone contract because you are a servicemember who has received new military orders for more than 90 days to an area not supported by the contract.

Photo credit Chris Benson. A young black man sitting on a bench embracing a young child

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) for Surviving Spouses and Children

DIC is a tax-free monthly benefit paid by the VA to eligible survivors of the following:
A stack of several credit cards and a crumpled up U.S. $5 bill.

Credit and Debt Collection Overview

Consumer credit issues affect us all. Here are the answers to a few of the most commonly asked questions.