Identify theft and now charged with fraud


I am a Saudi War Vet. I have been accused of Fraud where my Identity has been stolen. I have a court case in the courts in Toledo. I make a little more money where I do not qualify for Legal Aid. Can you help me get a lawyer that can help me with a criminal case with Veteran's Specialization?

Jim's Reply:

Interestingly, I was recently part of a conversation where we looked for lawyers who were familiar or specialized in representing veterans before criminal courts and we didn't find any. While there are a few "veterans courts" scattered around the country, there are varying degrees of success reported and it appears the veterans who are appearing before these courts are represented by criminal attorneys who don't particularly focus on veterans. We veterans are civilians and when we run afoul of the law and it doesn't have anything to do with the VA, we're pretty much on our own. If you aren't eligible for legal aid you'll need to talk with a criminal defense attorney about arranging a retainer and go from there.

  • PS from StatesideLegal:  The "Find Legal Help" map includes contact information for "LRS" providers in each State. They typically offer a low-cost consult with attorneys who specialize in specific areas of law, including criminal law.  Many of these programs also can identify lawyers that are also familiar with veteran issues.