Child being withheld by wife


Hi Jim, My separated wife is keeping my child from me, and I need help to gain custody of him at least half the year as we did before she became outright envious of my accomplishments. She’s now using my son as a poker chip. He has autism, and can’t control the situation himself. She is also keeping his pertinent info away from me out of spite, which has affected my VA disability income by $352 monthly. Any help would be immensely appreciated

Jim's Reply:

You say you're separated and nothing like what you ask for can happen until one of you files for divorce. When we veterans are involved in domestic disputes...child visitation, child support, alimony...we are acting as civilians and we have to do what any civilian would do and head to court. The family court that has control of your divorce is the one and only place where you may (or may not) find relief. There is no other option than to seek modification of anything you disagree with in front of the magistrate. You'd be better off hiring an attorney to help you...divorce lawyers don't work for free (even for veterans) so there's that to consider. Until you head to court, you're spinning your wheels.

  • PS from StatesideLegal: Use the Find Legal Help directory to look for an LRS provider in your area and request a low-cost consultation with a lawyer who specializes in family law and is familiar with VA benefits.