Becoming guardian for son with TBI


Can I get legal help filling out guardianship and conservatorship forms?  My son has TBI and I need to become his guardian.

Jim's Reply:

Yes you can. Google search for an attorney in your region who has expertise in guardianship issues in that state and proceed. Such help won't be free though...your decision to go for guardianship won't involve the VA so there won't be any gratis advice for forms and such.  If you make such a move,  your son should be advised that declaring him as incompetent can result in VA appointing a fiduciary and that often excludes family members and state arranged guardianships. Be careful what you ask for...