Family Matters

Interview with Iraq War Veterans Kayla Williams and Brian McGough

Andrew Lewczuk, VISTA volunteer, spoke with Kayla Williams and Brian McGough.

A modern engineer compass open on top of a wooden table.

Where to find Social Service Providers

Where to get help with non-legal problems.

A photo of a family, taken from the back. A man in a green shirt pushed someone using a wheelchair, while walking with a small child.

Rights of People with Disabilities

Learn about the rights of persons with disabilities to access state-funded community-based services.

A photo of a golden retriever service dog wearing a vest with several service dog patches. The most prominent reads 'Disabled Veteran with Service Dog.'

"Service Animals" and "Assistance Animals:" What Are My Rights?

Learn about the federal laws that support people in need of a service animal.
A bearded white man standing in a field, holding a young child on his shoulders

Where Can I Get Legal Help with an Out-of-State Child Support Modification?

Legal help with out-of-state child support modifications

A computer generated image of a series of papers layered on top of each other. The top paper is a check list with red check-marks on it.

Interactive Form - Motion to Void Default Judgment

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) provides important protections if you are sued while on active duty.
Several older men, wearing service caps indicating service in the Korean War march in a parade.

Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)

Under the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program, VA awards grants to private non-profit organizations that provide services to low-income Veteran families.

Photo credit: Seth Hays. An older white couple stands, hugging and looking at the camera.

Retirement Plans FAQs regarding USERRA and SSCRA

The Spring 2003 Edition of the Employee Plans News presented an article describing the Uniformed Services and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) and the Veterans and Sailors Civil Relief Act of 1940 (SSCRA). The article included several frequently asked questions concerning the re-employment of veterans and the restoration of retirement plan benefits. The IRS recently answered more questions regarding the laws.
The seal of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Issue with Financial Product or Service?

If you have issues with your credit card, mortgage, credit reporting, debt collection, bank account or service, money transfer, payday loan, private student loan, or other consumer loan submit a complaint or call toll-free at (855) 411-CFPB (2372).
The VA logo, with text reading 'U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs'

Fully Developed Claim Incentive

There is a new incentive for veterans to file disability compensation claims as a fully developed claim (FDC): a year or retroactive back pay from your effective date. We explain the eligibility requirements of the incentive and what types of veterans the FDC benefits the most.